Thursday, March 27, 2008

Who Really Cares?

The book, Who Really Cares by Arthur Brooks has been on my "to read list" for about six months. It is not diffucult to decipher the bent of the book based on it's subtitle, "The Surprising Truth About Compassionate Conservatism: America's Charity Divide, Who Gives, Who Doesn't and Why It Matters," but I hope to learn a lot even though I feel from the outset there is a biased ideology at work.

Brooks' work has my attention for a number of reasons:

1) I work for a non-profit dependent on people giving us money.

2) I dislike labels, but if I think "compassionate conservative" describes me well.

3) All things wealth, generosity and greed related have fascinated me for about three years. I continually grapple with the ideas of standard of living, charity, poverty and human duty to care for one another.

Conveniently, a copy made its way home with me from my parents' house last weekend. I'll keep you posted on what I learn and leave you with this nugget from the book jacket:
"But beyond showing us who the givers and non-givers in America really are today, Brooks shows why charity matters -- not just to givers and recipients but to the nation as a whole. He shows that giving is crucial to our economic prosperity, as well as to our happiness, health, and our ability to govern ourselves as a free people."

1 comment:

Michelle said...

why are you telling me this? i really don't care.

haha.. just kidding, of course. :) LOVE YOU!