Monday, May 23, 2011

Sugar, oh honey, honey

Continuing with my healthy eating trend, I have been trying to purge our house of high fructose corn syrup and white sugar. This tough! I love so many types of food and I love making food for other people. My tastes aren't always mainstream so I hesitate to introduce them to others.

Tonight I was making snacks for our small group this week and wanted to make some oatmeal bar cookies. I realized that I didn't have any white sugar or brown sugar in the house. I have plenty of grade b maple syrup, honey and agave nectar so I decided to give this recipe a try replace the sugars with agave and including cherry preserves instead of the cinnamon chips. The preserves did include sugar, but not HFCS.

Recipe: Oatmeal Cookie Bars
1/2 c. canola oil
1 c agave nectar
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp. milk
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
3 c. old-fashioned rolled oats
1 3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 jar high quality cherry preserves (I used cherry because it is Andy's favorite. Use whatever you like.)
(I also added about two tablespoons of almond butter)

sea salt to sprinkle on top
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13×9″ pan with foil, so that the ends hang over the long sides of your pan. (Easier to lift the bars out later.)
In a large bowl, combine oil, agave, eggs, milk, vanilla, and salt. Beat on medium speed for 2-3 minutes or until sugars have dissolved.
In another bowl, combine oats, flour, baking and soda. Stir until just combined. Add to liquid mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until combined. (My batter was fairly runny, possibly because of the agave). Transfer to prepared pan, reserve 1/2 cup. Spread preserves over top. Dollop remaing batter across top. Sprinkle sea salt on top.



Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and cool until firm. Lift bars out using foil “handles” and cut into bars. Store tightly covered.




I snuck a little bite and it is pretty cakey rather than dense like a bar cookie. If you are in my small group, I hope you enjoy my experiment.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I would love to have your granola recipe! And these bars looks good...except I'd pick a different add-in besides cherry.