Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My So Called Life

Andy, Sam, the boys and I are all adjusting to our new normal. Our so called life is delightful so far. I know that this is the honeymoon period, but we are having a great time. We had a pretty low key weekend at home while we unpacked and got some schedules in place. We did splurge on Saturday and went to lunch at Chick Fil A (my choice) and to see Star Wars in 3D (the boys' choice).

We had a fun and sugar-filled Valentine's Day. Sarah showed up at 6:30 a.m. with Krispy Kreme for everyone. Now that is true love because she isn't a morning girl! We had doughnuts and waffles and Valentine's cards all around. Then last night we had a fun fondue night for dinner.

I can't use names on the Internet, so I will refer to the boys by their birth order. Here are a few updates.

Our #1 son is every single bit a 13 year old boy. He is obsessed with getting a cell phone or an iPod touch or both. He is having some academic challenges, so we will spend a lot of time on that. He is a big hearted, sweet and very helpful boy. While he isn't very motivated in school he is very respectful and likes all of his teachers. The same attitude translates to home where he will help with anything that is needed and he is very kind to his little brothers. He is the peacemaker of the group. He came home from Valentine's Day at school with a new girlfriend. Oy vay.

Our #2 son is 12 years old and is one sweet heart of a kid. At least once a day he calls for "Hug Time"! Which starts out as a hug, but usually ends with him trying to crack my back. We are about the same size, so he usually does a pretty good job! #2 has some special needs and is in Special Ed at school. He has a great teacher that is helping me learn to navigate the system. Due to his special needs he is an immature 12 year old, but he is super sweet and still wants me around so I will take immature for awhile. He has a stuffed animal cow that he loves named Moo Moo. I used to love cows and had a stuffed cow in his room when he came for his first weekend. I know it sounds silly, but I considered it to be something of a sign that we should adopt the boys. We are learning his triggers for bad behaviors and working on ways to prevent bad behaviors and correct bad behaviors.

Son #3 is 9 years old and the charmer of the group. We made school Valentine's for for his class and since he is still in elementary school he had a class party. Another mom whom I met invited me to attend, but I didn't want to bust up on his boundaries and make him feel uncomfortable. I asked him over the weekend if he would like me to attend. He decided that he would like me to come and I was overjoyed. I seriously almost cried! He came home on Monday and said, "Don't forget the party is at 1:30 p.m. tomorrow." Apparently, last week he announced to his class that he was getting adopted last weekend. I have been most concerned about him emotionally during the transition, so that was very encouraging to me. Andy also got to go to Cub Scouts with this week and they are building a Pinewood Derby Car. He is at such a fun age and I am hoping having two supportive parents is really going to help him blossom.

So, that is the big update. I am pretty worn out and yesterday felt pretty hectic, but at the end of the day Andy said, "Our life is so fun now." I have to agree.

(Sorry for the lack of pictures, but I can't show off the boys until they are ours legally!)

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Leslie.... I am so encouraged at God's work in your family, uniting you guys together in love and in all things practical!

It stands out to me that while you seem to have a very realistic perspective on where these boys will need to grow you are also so aware of God's grace to them, their giftings, and the way you are able to delight in them. It challenges me to think the same about my children too! Thank you for sharing this journey with us. love.

Leslie Ann Nack said...

I hope some day to read your posts with my sinuses not bothering me. The tears are hard on them and they just keep coming. Re: pinebox derby- Andy and Kim has a bad experience when Dad thought it was a boy project and didn't help with the design only to arrive at the big day with complex designs done by fathers to race against. Kim reacted to his Dad not letting him do anything. See where Andy lands in this swing...

Eileen said...

Hi Leslie, We LOVE following you and praying for you and your great adventure.
Have you heard of Karyn Purvis? Her book is called, "The Connected Child" and she has many youtube videos to watch. I HIGHLY recommend her. She has completely changed the way I view "kids coming from hard places." You'll be encouraged! Take care!